November 11, 2023, $267.79
- The world’s largest fast-food chain operates, franchises, or licenses 40,275 fast-food restaurants globally.
- Most (95%) of locations are operated by franchisees or affiliates, with the remaining managed by the company.
- Foreign operations contributed significantly to systemwide sales (59%) and consolidated operating income (45%) in 2022.
- Spun off Chipotle Mexican Grill (2006) and Boston Market (2007).
- The workforce comprises 150,000+ employees in company-owned and operated restaurants. The number of McDonald’s employees has more than halved in the past six years.
- There are 1.7 million McDonald’s workers in total, including employees of franchisees and affiliates.
- Short-term technical buy/sell recommendation: MODERATELY OVERBOUGHT; BUY ON WEAKNESS
- Long-term portfolio recommendation: BUY ON SHORT-TERM WEAKNESS
- Maverick Investors can anticipate steady price gains, dividends, and share buybacks from this top-quality company.
Consideration for Maverick Portfolio:
- MCD is appropriate for all risk profiles. The stock fits into all portfolios, from the Maverick CONSERVATIVE portfolio to the Maverick AGGRESSIVE GROWTH portfolio.
- Technical Analysis (based on Technical Indicators and Moving Averages):
- Investing.com = Daily: STRONG BUY Weekly: NEUTRAL
- TipRanks = Daily: NEUTRAL: Weekly: BUY
- Consensus Analyst Ratings— MarketBeat = MODERATE BUY, TipRanks = STRONG BUY
- 27 Wall Street analysts have offered 12-month price targets in the last 3 months. There are 22 Buy, 5 Hold, and ZERO Sell. (from TipRanks)
- Based on 27 Wall Street analysts offering 12-month price targets in the last 3 months, the average price target is $310.42, with a high forecast of $383.00 and a low forecast of $270.00. The average price target represents a 15.9% change from the last price of $267.79. (from TipRanks)
- Dividend Yield: $1.67 per share paid quarterly to yield 2.28%.
- Dividend growth for over 15 years. (from TipRanks)
Value Line Guidance:
- Company Financial Strength Rating: A++
- Share Price Safety, Market Timing, Technical Rank: 1=best. 5=worst
- Share Price Safety: 1 of 5
- Market Timing: 3 of 5
- Technical Rank: 3 of 5
- Beta: 0.90
- Stock’s Price Stability: 100/100
- Price Growth Persistence: 95/100
- Earnings Predictability: 80/100
- Projected Average Annual PE: 25.5
- Average Annual Sales Growth in the past 5 years: +0.5%
- Average Annual Sales Growth for the next 5 years: +6.5%
- Average Annual Cash Flow Growth in the past 5 years: +7.5%
- Average Annual Cash Flow Growth for the next 5 years: +9.0%
- Average Annual Earnings Growth in the past 5 years: +8.0%
- Average Annual Earnings Growth for the next 5 years: +10.50%
- Average Annual Dividend Growth in the past 5 years: +8.0%
- Average Annual Dividend Growth next 5 years: +8.5%
- Projected Average Annual Dividend Yield in 3 to 5 years: +2.2%
- 10-year Average Annual Total Return: +13.60% (through Nov 10, 2023)(8th best of the Dow 30)
- 2020: $6.05
- 2021: $9.28
- 2022: $10.10
- 2023: e$11.75
- 2024: e$12.50 (from Value Line Quarterly Report)
- Current PE: 23.6 (FinViz)
- Forward PE: 21.5 (FinViz)
- PEG Ratio: 2.48 (FinViz)
- Beta: 0.69 (FinViz)
Quarterly Reports Summaries (including Revenue, Cash Flow, Earnings):
3Q2023 Quarterly Report (September) (Released Oct. 30)
McDonald’s 3Q2023 Earnings Report Highlights:
- Global Systemwide sales increased by +11%.
- Global comparable sales grew by nearly +9% across all segments.
- Digital Systemwide sales in the top six markets amounted to nearly $9 billion, representing over 40% of their Systemwide sales.
3Q2023 Quarter Financials:
- Global comparable sales increased by +8.8%.
- The US segment increased by +8.1%.
- The International Operated Markets segment increased by +8.3%.
- The International Developmental Licensed Markets segment increased by +10.5%.
- Consolidated revenues increased by +14%.
- Diluted earnings per share was $3.17, reflecting an 18% increase.
Key Performance Drivers:
- The US segment benefited from strong average check growth, effective marketing campaigns, and digital and delivery growth.
- Strong comparable sales in key markets like the UK, Germany, and Canada drove international Operated Markets.
- International Developmental Licensed Markets reflected strong comparable sales across all geographic regions.
Dividends and Financial Metrics:
- A 10% increase in quarterly cash dividend to $1.67 per share was declared.
- Operating income increased by +16%.
- Net income increased by +17%.
2Q2023 Quarterly Report (June)
- McDonald’s continues to focus on multiple strategies to increase revenues despite global economic challenges.
- Strong year-over-year revenue gains in the first half of 2023 across domestic, foreign, and developmental licensing markets.
- Marketing efforts, including the return of the Grimace character, contributed to positive drivers like customer traffic, pricing, store upgrades, and menu enhancements.
- Comparable-store growth eased slightly due to inflation’s impact on consumer budgets; management warned of slower growth in the second half of 2023.
- Menu improvements, especially in chicken offerings, store openings, delivery expansion, and digital mobile ordering adoption, are expected to support top-line growth.
- Estimated revenue improvement of 10% to $25.5 billion in 2023, with a gain of 6% to $27.0 billion in 2024.
- Inflation is impacting margins, particularly in Europe, but management is focused on offering value and supporting franchisee productivity via technology.
- Positive share earnings momentum, with adjusted per-share earnings expected to advance 16% in 2023 and 6%-7% in 2024.
- McDonald’s provides steady total returns, with cash flow generation and debt financing aiding international expansion and market share growth.
- Share buybacks, dividend hikes, and steady stock price appreciation reward investors.
1Q2023 Quarterly Report (March)
- Revenues are increasing as COVID-19 cases decline, especially in China, which has reopened as an important market.
- Global comparable-store sales are projected to rise in the low-double-digits in 2023, driven by volume, selective price hikes, and an enhanced menu.
- Careful expansion of store count and support for franchisees, along with digital ordering and delivery, contributing to top-line growth.
- The strong US dollar previously restrained franchise revenue growth, but the impact is expected to lessen.
- Estimated consolidated revenue increase of 5%-6% to $24.5 billion in 2023, with a further gain of 6% to $26.0 billion in 2024.
- Management-led initiatives, including international expansion, improved service and ambiance, and process standardization, helped offset elevated expenses.
- Expected share earnings growth from $10.10 in 2022 to $11.25 in 2023 and $12.00 in 2024.
- Positive share price trend, historically reliable rising total returns, solid financial strength, and limited risk profile.
- McDonald’s ranked 1 for Safety, indicating high financial strength and price stability.
4Q2022 Quarterly Report (December)
- 2022 Revenues: Dipped below the prior year due to negative foreign currency translation, a strong U.S. dollar, and cautious pricing strategies amidst rising inflation.
- 2022 Challenges: COVID-19 shutdowns in China and conservative European spending also impacted top-line performance.
- 2023 Outlook: Optimism for growth under the “Accelerating the Arches” strategy, focusing on store count expansion, operational efficiency, digital services, and delivery.
- Revenue Growth Projection: Anticipate 3%-4% growth to $24.0 billion in 2023 and a stronger 6% advance to $25.5 billion in 2024.
- Earnings Strength: Expect strengthening of earnings, displaying momentum in sales, international markets, and comparable store receipts.
- Operating Leverage: Operating efficiency efforts and strategic enhancements are expected to provide leverage against inflationary pressures.
- Profitability Factors: Wage and ingredients inflation, along with currency exchange, may restrain profitability, but service and process enhancements are seen as offsets.
- Earnings Projection: Share earnings, adjusted for special items, are forecasted to increase 5%-6% to $10.65 in 2023 and another 8%-9% to $11.55 in 2024.
- Stock Performance: McDonald’s is recognized for delivering positive total returns, steady price gains, generous dividends, and share buybacks.
The 3-to-5-year Operational and Financial Outlook:
- McDonald’s remains confident in its future and the strategic direction of its business.
- The 3-to-5-year outlook indicates continued strong growth in revenue and earnings.
- McDonald’s employs various strategies to boost revenues despite global economic challenges.
- Marketing efforts, including the return of the Grimace character, positively impacted customer traffic, pricing, store upgrades, and menu enhancements.
- Menu improvements, particularly in chicken offerings, store openings, delivery expansion, and digital mobile ordering adoption, are expected to support top-line growth.
- Despite recent market stress, McDonald’s geographical diversification positions it well to weather economic slowdowns.
- The company provides steady total returns, leveraging cash flow generation, debt financing, and international expansion for market share growth.
- The reduced share price is considered an opportunity for conservative investors with a long-term view, especially for the years 2026-2028.
Company SWOT Analysis:
- Consider whether changes in any one or more of these factors are a reason to invest or sell your investment in this company. There is no need to be guided by self-conflicted and highly biased Wall Street.
Internal Strategic Factors:
- Globally recognized with its iconic golden arches logo and popular slogan, “I’m Lovin’ It.”
- Effective branding and marketing efforts create a strong, positive brand image.
- Over 38,000 locations in 100+ countries, facilitating a broad customer base and economies of scale.
Strong Franchise System:
- Utilizes a successful franchise model for rapid expansion.
- A well-established franchise system ensures consistency and quality while minimizing risks and costs.
Financial Strength and Real Estate Empire:
- A multi-billion real estate empire provides a strong financial foundation.
- Known for highly efficient operations with streamlined processes.
- Systems in place enable quick and consistent service, minimizing wait times and enhancing the customer experience.
- Introducing new products like McCafé coffee drinks, all-day breakfast, and McCrispy Sandwiches.
- Utilizing revolutionary technology to enhance products and services.
- Renowned for tasty offerings, especially French fries.
- Fast foods are considered better in taste than competitors.
Strategic Acquisition for Personalized Marketing:
- Acquisition of ‘Dynamic Yield’ for personalized marketing and customizations.
- Progressing towards tailored customer experiences.
- Criticism for nutritional value and links to health issues.
- Efforts to introduce healthier options, but concerns persist.
Negative Public Perception:
- Criticism for labor practices, including low wages.
- A negative public image led to protests and calls for boycotts.
Dependence on Franchisees:
- High dependence on franchisees for revenue and growth.
- Challenges in ensuring consistency and quality across all locations.
Limited Menu Appeal:
- Perceived limitation in menu variety compared to competitors.
- The breakfast menu has lost its charm over the years due to the lack of variation.
- Reliance on signature items may impact customer preferences.
- Criticism for environmental practices, including single-use plastics.
- Concerns were raised about the contribution to deforestation through sourcing beef and palm oil.
The Franchise business model:
- It may show a greater impact with the passing of time. The interruption in supply-chain business models can also affect the company’s growth.
Employee job dissatisfaction:
- Thousands of employees are largely dissatisfied. It may affect their efficiency and further affect the food chain’s service.
External Strategic Factors:
- Untapped markets in Asia and Africa present opportunities.
- Emerging demand for fast food in these regions.
Health and Wellness Trends:
- Opportunity to introduce healthier menu options.
- Leverage the supply chain for sustainable and environmentally friendly choices.
- Heavy investment in digital tech, including mobile ordering.
- Potential for further innovation and data leverage for menu and marketing enhancement.
Delivery and Convenience:
- Expand delivery offerings through third-party services.
- Explore partnerships with popular delivery platforms.
Partnership and Collaborations:
- Collaborate with other brands or chefs for innovative menu offerings.
- Differentiate the company and appeal to new customer segments.
Affordable Menu Strategies:
- The launch of the “$1, $2, $3” menu and the “2 for $5 Mix and match deal” attracts budget-conscious customers.
Asian Market Expansion:
- Opportunity for further expansion in Asian countries by tailoring menus to local preferences.
Brand Image Rebuilding:
- Work on rebuilding the brand image to counteract negative publicity.
- Focus on employee satisfaction.
- Initiated a partnership with UberEats to serve customers unable to visit a location.
Environmental, Regulatory, and Legal Challenges:
- Faces challenges related to labor, food safety, and environmental regulations.
- There is immense pressure to improve practices to minimize waste production, creating a negative impression.
- Regulatory changes or legal issues can affect operations and profitability.
Risky Technological Investments:
- McDonald’s risky investments in technological initiatives may severely affect future growth.
Resistance to Change:
- Being considered old-school may impact the business, especially in adapting to changing food habits.
- Cultural threats while operating in different countries.
- Intense competition in the fast-food industry.
- Competitors from various chains and emerging trends like healthier options.
Changing Consumer Preferences:
- Risk of the menu becoming less appealing.
- Adaptation to health and environmental trends is crucial.
- Impact from inflation, consumer spending changes, and currency fluctuations.
- Economic downturns in key markets pose risks.
Supply Chain Disruptions:
- Dependency on a complex supply chain.
- Disruptions like natural disasters can impact ingredient availability and costs.
- There is immense pressure to improve practices to minimize waste production, creating a negative impression.
FinViz Snapshot: https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=341&t=MCD
10-Year Historical Price Chart: (from StockCharts.com)
Point & Figure Chart: (from StockCharts.com)
The Maverick Investor Books
In social dialogue anywhere in the world, people are more inclined to engage in controversial politics and religion than to address the much more important topic of securing their long-term financial stability. A 2023 Harris Poll revealed that 71% of Americans admit to purchasing lottery tickets, and 24% of millennials confess to consulting fortune tellers, but only 33% have sought investment advice from a financial professional. If the subject of investing even comes up, trading crypto and high-flyers like Tesla are the most popular conversational topics.
For these reasons, I wrote “The Maverick Investor’s Handbook,” which is about a simple plan for Do-It-Yourself investors to invest in the blue-chip Dow 30 companies that align with their personal risk tolerance profiles. A follow-up book, “Cracking the Maverick Investor Code,” delves into the key details of each Dow 30 company. This book will be available exclusively at BillCara.com and will be updated quarterly.
These books provide expert advice, valuable insights, and a detailed roadmap to navigate the complexities of investing. Catering to the “Anti-Wall Street” investor, the books are essential reading for anyone seeking financial stability and making informed decisions throughout their lifetime. I emphasize the opportunities available to different preferences and experience levels, from novice to expert.